The Worcestershire Yeomanry Cavalry was raised in 1794 when the Napoleonic Wars broke out as a part-time cavalry unit, to be used in time of civil unrest or invasion.
When the Worcestershire Yeomanry were called up in 1914, they formed part of the 1st Midland Mounted Brigade commanded by Brigadier E.A. Wiggin. The Brigade was ordered to Egypt and was based in Chatby Camp, close to Alexandria, by April 1915.
By 1938 a new war with Germany was near and the Regiment was chosen to convert into an anti tank Regiment of the Royal Artillery. Its eighteen pounders were replaced by two-pounders and the 53rd (Worcestershire Yeomanry) Anti-Tank Regiment, Royal Artillery came into being.